Constructing Kindness

Then came a suggestion that I’d never consider unless someone told me, “What if we give it to the construction workers here?” It did seem to be the most efficient way so I begrudgingly agreed, still convinced that my idea was better.


Music choice for this blog: Willow by Taylor Swift (I'm trying this out, let me know if you'd like this to continue)
                                        

Some people asked me in regular conversation why I wasn’t writing blogs anymore. So this one’s for you, when you asked me that it put a smile on my face that people wanted to read what I wrote. I hope this story puts a smile on your face too.


One summer evening, I was reaping the benefits of a year-long effort. It was a meet to celebrate and I wanted to celebrate before I had to move on for the next phase of work. It was surreal, happiness was brimming in the room, I could almost feel it with my fingers. I presented the results and everything good, the setbacks could take a step back to celebrate just this once.


Like any meet, it would be incomplete without “hi-tea”, it was my first time arranging something like this. We had planned snacks and drinks, the drinks arrived, the snacks didn’t. It was comical, but it worked out as it was a hot summer day and people generally preferred drinks. I said my goodbyes to whoever attended and my eyes fell to the leftover drinks.


I said half-jokingly, “We can save these for our next event, we’ll need less budget then.” My friends made fun of me that I can never leave this post, they were correct, this was almost engraved in my bones.


Then came a suggestion that I’d never consider unless someone told me, “What if we give it to the construction workers here?” It did seem to be the most efficient way so I begrudgingly agreed, still convinced that my idea was better.


We walked out of the beautiful venue we’d picked, out of the memorable event we’d all collectively created. I picked up a drink, another drink in hand searching for a worker in the campus. I found one standing, instinctively without saying anything I gave it to her as if I were her friend and we shared drinks everyday. I got back in conversation with the friends that were with me, trying to look for more workers and I looked back at her to check if she was drinking or not. But instead, I was struck by what I saw.


I saw her smiling with tears in her eyes. For me, this drink was something so small, but when I saw her eyes my heart almost hurt at the amount of gratitude which I feel I didn’t deserve at all. I felt she deserved much more, she shouldn't be this happy receiving this drink. It was something too small, minute, basic.


I had some troubling thoughts about whether construction workers were treated right in India. It is obvious, you wouldn't consider being a construction laborer as your career choice in your wildest dreams, especially if you’re from urban areas. Many uneducated people from villages come to the city to find employment and end up being cheap labor for construction companies. I also read that they’re paid much less than what the government mandates and it pains me to see that they work so hard and can barely make enough to make ends meet. 


I don’t know the solution for this either, so I chose to write about it. Maybe in the future I can do something that’s more concrete than giving out drinks. Though, it was a pretty good start.


Since you've made it this far I’ll take the liberty to urge you to be kind when you have the opportunity. Be like my friend who suggested this amazing alternative.


I have a great history for missing my bus and time was running out, so the task of distributing drinks went to the people who didn't need to take the bus. The next day, I asked them if they were able to find more people and I received this answer, maybe a little paraphrased, “They were super happy and smiling. They literally stopped doing their work once they saw us and took the drinks. It was amazing.” I wish I was there to witness this but just hearing it made me feel all warm and nice. I hope it does the same for you, reader.


Thank you for reading! I'd be delighted if you shared this and commented your opinions. 💞


“You know that every day a helpless child is born

Who needs some loving care inside a happy home

Somewhere, a wealthy man is sitting on his throne

Waiting for life to go by”


-Is This The World We Created...? Song By Queen


Comments

  1. Reading this blog brought a smile on my face and it's a remainder to all of us how our small act of kindness can make someone very happy 😊.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts