An Atheist's Day Out

I board my college bus every morning. Ok, that’s false, most mornings. Somehow I have the knack for being just on time but late for everything, so it’s usually me running to my stop, breakfast in hand trying not to miss the bus. If I successfully board it, I sleep or look around. If I don’t, I end up taking an auto.


Recently, there’s an auto driver who’s always available to drop me off when I miss my bus. He drops other students to a college that’s near my home every morning and stops at a tea stall for a chai break. That’s where I find him, and it’s more convenient this way compared to explaining the details of location to my college to a new auto guy. I guess we had a silent agreement.


Of course, the day came, I repeated my morning routine of missing the bus and took the auto. On the way, I was looking around, at all the buildings and other people who were driving. I saw a few advertisement boards, one of them was selling something I can’t remember on the occasion of Ramzan. My auto uncle was muslim, I could tell from the cap, so I wondered if I could wish him.





Along the journey, we stopped at a signal. It was an intersection, and usually the place where beggars waited for the traffic to stop and ask for alms. I was used to it, but this time most of the beggars were muslims, they were disabled, crawling on the road. The sight hurt my eyes, and I began to wonder what my auto driver was thinking. I began to wonder if they were really muslim or they were just wearing the cap since it was Ramzan season. 


Then I berated myself for thinking that way, for doubting people who were poor and desperate. But I didn’t give them any money. Somehow I couldn’t bring myself to do that, call me extreme but since I wasn’t earning yet the money that I could give would be my dad’s. Then there’s the possibility that they weren’t genuine, that they might be a part of the begging mafia, which I didn’t want to contribute to. I also couldn’t bring myself to look at them when they were begging, there was guilt in me, as if I was doing something wrong. I was also glad that it wasn’t my responsibility to take care of them.


But whose responsibility is it? If not mine, then yours? The government’s? 


I do not know. But I definitely was overwhelmed by the gravity of the world at once. I realised I never noticed these people because I was usually on the bus and it was more elevated compared to an auto and I had never looked down. The difference in elevation felt like a literal difference in status, in life. This again reinforced the feelings I had when I watched the movie “parasite”.


I will ask once again, whose responsibility is it? I believe the answer is subjective. One answer could be, the society as a whole, but what is my role in it? And this makes me question more…how is the government helping the poor and disabled? Do the homeless have shelters? Are the shelters proper?


I reached my college, I got down the auto, paid him the fare and wished him “Ramzan Mubarak”. He looked at me and smiled, showing me his paan-stained teeth. It was a genuine one as if he was surprised. After all my agonising thoughts, his smile felt comforting. And with that sliver of hope, my thoughts began to fade. I started thinking of mundane things again. But as I write this, I fear that I’m just another citizen who is shifting the responsibility to others. I fear I will forget the society and those in need, to fulfil my own selfish needs. And that concludes “An Atheist’s Day Out”.


“Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity. It is an act of justice.” - Nelson Mandela


Comments

  1. Your questions strengthened my beliefs.An added benifit is that people get a deeper sense of fulfillment out of something they've done as an act of service than out of the things they do for themselves.

    Very wholesome blog update, it was also very well written. Thanks for sharingg

    and Ramadan Mubarak:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramadan Mubarak!

      I am glad you found it wholesome! Thank you.

      Delete
  2. We need a beggar-free society, for which everyone requires employment(some way of earning by doing work). We cannot completely say that it's the responsibility of government. It can be the responsibility of every citizen who has guilt feeling when they look at poor people(including me).
    Nice blog 👌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I agree that we do need a beggar-free society. In a way that our society can empower everyone to self-sustain themselves. I am glad you could relate to the guilt I talked about.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts